Skip to main content

[RwandaLibre] RWANDA: URGENT CALL FOR AN INTERNATIONAL INVESTIGATION INTO ATROCITIES ALLEGEDLY COMMITTED BY THE REGIME OF GENERAL PAUL KAGAME

 


RWANDA: URGENT CALL FOR AN INTERNATIONAL INVESTIGATION INTO ATROCITIES ALLEGEDLY COMMITTED BY THE REGIME OF GENERAL PAUL KAGAME

FDU-INKINGI calls upon the international community to order an independent international investigation into the recent discovery of bodies wrapped in plastic sacks floating in the Lake Rweru in the north-eastern Burundi bordering Rwanda. Local residents have said that they had seen around 45 bodies during the months of July and August 2014 in the lake. They revealed that the bodies came down from a tributary river flowing from Rwanda, an overflow from the Akagera River. It was also revealed that thousands of bodies wrapped in sacks with heavy weights attached to them could have been thrown into the Akagera River and might never be recovered.

The allegations are based on the fact that thousands of people have disappeared in Rwanda since the beginning of July this year according to local residents who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of Rwandan government reprisals. Contacted authorities in Burundi expressed fears for pointing a finger at their powerful neighbour Rwanda. Suspicions aimed at finger pointing the Rwandan government were heightened following an incident in which an unidentified group of people "aboard several boats", crossed the Lake Rweru on the night of September 21 to 22, with intent to steal the bodies. The group suspected to be Rwandan security agents, were chased away by Burundi security services [1]. Since then the Burundi army is guarding the area where some of the bodies were buried while awaiting for an investigation.

This horrendous discovery comes in the aftermath of a warning made in Nyabihu District, northern Rwanda, on the 5th of June this year 2014 by President Kagame against those suspected of threatening state security. In his public address, General Kagame ridiculed external condemnations of arbitrary arrests, detentions and enforced disappearances in Rwanda and declared that security agents would not only continue such arrests but also make a further step and shoot suspects in broad daylight. 

The latest discovery of bodies wrapped in sacks after execution and thrown into Lake Rweru and which has drawn public outcry is but a tip of an iceberg.

Indeed, on June 2nd, authorities in the Ministry of Local Government reported that 16,000 people have disappeared in the district of Ngororero [2]. On July 30, 2014, the Hirondelle News Agency reported the disappearance of 30,000 Rwandans sentenced to community service [3].

While we praise the US government for its" urgent call on the Burundian and Rwandan Governments to conduct a prompt, thorough, impartial and concerted investigation of these deaths with the assistance of independent, international forensic experts", we join the FIDH [4] plea for a totally independent investigation as there is a conflict of interest in allowing Rwanda and Burundi governments to lead on such an independent investigation.

Indeed, even though Rwanda continues to deny its responsibility in those deaths, on October 14, Reuters in Bujumbura reported: "The general prosecutor of Burundi said on Tuesday that an investigation into 40 bodies found in a lake on the border with Rwanda has concluded that the dead were Rwandans, even though Rwanda has previously denied this."[5] 

It is mind blowing to witness that the international community continues to turn a blind eye and that some countries maintain political, diplomatic and financial support to a regime that has proved to be a killing machine.

FDU-Inkingi would like to remind the international community that the impunity status quo given to the repressive regime in Rwanda could slowly but surely lead to another humanitarian disaster in Rwanda and in the whole Great Lakes region. 

Done in Brussels, on October 20, 2014

FDU-Inkingi
Joseph Bukeye
2nd Vice-Chairman

Notes:

1-http://www.rfi.fr/afrique/20140923-lac-rweru-groupe-non-identifie-tente-voler-cadavres/#./?&_suid=141156673938606989186681745878 "

2-http://igihe.com/amakuru/u-rwanda/article/ngororero-abaturage -ibihumbi-16

3-http://allafrica.com/stories/201407311017.html 

4-http://www.fidh.org/en/africa/rwanda/16216-rwanda-burundi-an-independent-investigation-must-be-carried-out-on-the

5-http://mobile.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSKCN0I31XB20141014?irpc=932 


Kagame-Crimes.bodies-in-plastic-sacks-Lake-Rweru




__._,_.___

Posted by: Nzinink <nzinink@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
.To post a message: RwandaLibre@yahoogroups.com; .To join: RwandaLibre-subscribe@yahoogroups.com; .To unsubscribe from this group,send an email to:
RwandaLibre-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
_____________________________________________________

More news:  http://www.amakurunamateka.com ; http://www.ikangurambaga.com ; http://rwandalibre.blogspot.co.uk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-SVP, considérer  environnement   avant toute  impression de  cet e-mail ou les pièces jointes.
======
-Please consider the environment before printing this email or any attachments.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.

__,_._,___

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Troisième Mandat de Louise Mushikiwabo à l'OIF : Entre Précédent et Principe Démocratique.

Le Troisième Mandat de Louise Mushikiwabo à l'OIF : Entre Précédent et Principe Démocratique. L'Alternance à l'OIF : Pourquoi un Troisième Mandat Fragilise la Crédibilité de la Francophonie. Introduction Louise Mushikiwabo veut un troisième mandat à la tête de l'Organisation internationale de la Francophonie. Son annonce, faite bien avant l'émergence d'autres candidats, rappelle une tactique familière en Afrique : affirmer qu'on a le soutien populaire sans jamais le prouver publiquement. La méthode est rodée. Des dirigeants africains l'utilisent depuis des décennies pour prolonger leur règne. Ils clament que "le peuple le demande" ou que "les partenaires soutiennent" cette reconduction. Aucune preuve formelle n'est nécessaire. L'affirmation devient réalité politique. Mais voilà le problème : la Francophonie prêche la démocratie, l'État de droit et l'alternance au pouvoir. Peut-elle tolérer en son sein ce qu...

Rubaya Mine Under USA’s Control: Kagame Has No Grounds to Object.

Rubaya Mine: Strategic Interests, Regional Conflict and the DRC–USA Cooperation Framework Rubaya mine, located in Masisi territory in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, is a Congolese resource. It was a Congolese resource before the M23 advanced on it, it remains a Congolese resource today, and it will remain a Congolese resource regardless of what any regional actor claims, implies or pursues. That is not a political position. It is a statement of international law and sovereign right. This foundational point must be stated plainly because it is frequently obscured in discussions about the conflict in eastern Congo. Debates about security narratives, mineral partnerships and geopolitical alignment risk creating a false impression that Rubaya's ownership or governance is somehow open to negotiation between external parties. It is not. The Democratic Republic of the Congo holds sovereign authority over its territory and its natural resources. N...

Goma Airport Should Function Under MONUSCO Control

Goma Airport Should Function Under MONUSCO Control Placing Goma International Airport under the operational supervision of MONUSCO while restoring full humanitarian and commercial functionality would represent a pragmatic compromise in the current crisis in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Such an arrangement would achieve three objectives simultaneously: Protect civilian and humanitarian access Address stated security concerns Reinforce Congolese sovereignty This is not a radical proposal. It is a stabilisation mechanism. Why MONUSCO Control Makes Strategic Sense MONUSCO is already mandated by the United Nations Security Council to support civilian protection and stabilisation in eastern Congo. It operates aircraft, maintains secure perimeters, and coordinates closely with humanitarian actors. Transferring temporary operational oversight of Goma airport to MONUSCO while allowing flights to resume would: Re...

BBC News

Africanews

UNDP - Africa Job Vacancies

How We Made It In Africa – Insight into business in Africa

Migration Policy Institute