Skip to main content

African rivalries weaken U.N. hand against rebels in Congo


African rivalries weaken U.N. hand against rebels in Congo

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13am BST


By Aaron Ross
KINSHASA (Reuters) - Hundreds of Rwandan rebels in eastern Congo are defying a six month ultimatum to disarm, ratcheting up pressure on regional powers and U.N. peacekeepers to eliminate, once and for all, a force at the heart of two decades of conflict.
Midway to a deadline set by regional leaders, not one Hutu rebel had laid down his weapon and yet rivalries among African nations are undermining the prospect of U.N.-led military action against insurgents Rwanda has previously hunted down in Congo. 
"If it was entirely up to us, we would be fulfilling our mandate to neutralize armed groups," Martin Kobler, head of the 23,000-strong U.N. mission in Congo, told Reuters, acknowledging the reticence of some political actors but voicing confidence military action would ensue if the Jan. 2 deadline was missed.
Rwandan Hutu FDLR fighters have made the hills and forests of mineral-rich eastern Congo their own during two decades of simmering conflict since they fled Rwanda after the 1994 genocide there by Hutu militia of Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
Some Congolese military commanders retain close ties to FDLR fighters from alliances forged during a 1998-2003 war, which pitted Congo against an invading Tutsi-led Rwandan force and drew half a dozen regional states into a proxy war.
African leaders gave the rebels six months in July to disarm and either be repatriated to Rwanda or transferred to a transit camp in Congo while they await resettlement in a third country.
On Monday they acknowledged no progress had been made and repeated a vague threat of military force if the deadline was missed. But some regional powers are keener on that than others.
"Everyone wants to go after the FDLR in a different fashion," said Timo Mueller, an independent researcher in eastern Congo. "It will be the FDLR who will benefit from this cacophony of actors."
POLITICAL FOOTBALL
Criticised for years for failing to impose peace in Congo, the U.N. mission has been buoyed by the success of a 3,000-strong Intervention Brigade, launched last year, with the mandate and firepower to take the fight to myriad rebel groups.
In November, with Kigali forced to end covert backing for the rebels, the brigade helped Congo defeat the Tutsi-led M23 rebel group that had seized swathes of territory in North Kivu.
Officials say there are only around 1,500 FDLR gunmen left after the U.N. peacekeeping mission demobilised over 12,000 in the past 12 years, but their integration in life in eastern Congo makes it hard to separate them from civilians. 
Speaking to Reuters from a bush base in eastern Congo, Victor Byiringiro, the FDLR's interim leader, said his fighters would return to Rwanda only through direct talks with Rwanda and not as part of the U.N. backed repatriation programme.
"To repatriate us to Rwanda is to destroy the FDLR."
Kigali, however, has flatly rejected talks with the rebels, saying the Hutus want to complete the slaughter of 1994.
Rwanda has repeatedly dispatched troops into its neighbour's east, ostensibly to hunt down Hutu rebels. Kigali has come under intense diplomatic pressure not to interfere in Congo since it was accused by U.N. experts of backing Congo's M23 rebels. As a result, it expects U.N. troops to do the job.
"The FDLR is not a mystery, it's not a complicated armed group to deal with," Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo told Reuters. "What has to be put forth, in a more visible manner, in a more serious manner, is the political will to get rid of this group."
Other African powers have been more cautious, calling for a political solution that could broach a range of thorny issues, including the fate of the more than 100,000 Rwandan refugees remaining in Congo, whom the FDLR claims to protect.
Tanzania and South Africa - the core of the beefed-up U.N. brigade - have frosty ties with Rwanda and voiced hesitation over a military solution to the FDLR. 
Some Congolese officials also privately say conflict between the FDLR and Rwanda should be resolved through dialogue, amid memories of the alliance between the military and Hutu forces in eastern Congo. 
Lambert Mende, a spokesman for the Congo's government, denied any wavering in commitment for an offensive. 
Jason Stearns, a former U.N. investigator in Congo, said regional tensions were likely to muddy decision making.
"It's become a bit of a political football in the tense relations between South Africa, Tanzania and Rwanda," he said. "If the FDLR continues to be politicised, then that could also lead to military operations taking a back seat for the moment." 
Kobler, the U.N. chief, said peacekeepers were obliged to obey U.N. orders and played down any impact of troop contributing governments having misgivings over robust anti-FDLR operations once the Jan 2 deadline expires.
His forces are, for now, committed to a new offensive against Ugandan ADF-NALU rebels accused by the U.N. and Congolese government of killing dozens of civilians in recent weeks.
Even if operations begin, past experience suggests it will be tricky. Joint Congolese, Rwandan and U.N. operations against the FDLR in 2009 were criticised by human rights groups for having a high humanitarian toll amid abuses by both sides.
Ida Sawyer, Human Rights Watch's senior Congo researcher, said that could happen again.
"Some people are scared that more military operations will just bring about more attacks on civilians," she said. 
(Additional reporting by Clement Uwiringiyimana in Kigali and Fumbuka Ng'wanakilala in Dar es Salaam; editing by David Lewis, Daniel Flynn and Philippa Fletcher)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Troisième Mandat de Louise Mushikiwabo à l'OIF : Entre Précédent et Principe Démocratique.

Le Troisième Mandat de Louise Mushikiwabo à l'OIF : Entre Précédent et Principe Démocratique. L'Alternance à l'OIF : Pourquoi un Troisième Mandat Fragilise la Crédibilité de la Francophonie. Introduction Louise Mushikiwabo veut un troisième mandat à la tête de l'Organisation internationale de la Francophonie. Son annonce, faite bien avant l'émergence d'autres candidats, rappelle une tactique familière en Afrique : affirmer qu'on a le soutien populaire sans jamais le prouver publiquement. La méthode est rodée. Des dirigeants africains l'utilisent depuis des décennies pour prolonger leur règne. Ils clament que "le peuple le demande" ou que "les partenaires soutiennent" cette reconduction. Aucune preuve formelle n'est nécessaire. L'affirmation devient réalité politique. Mais voilà le problème : la Francophonie prêche la démocratie, l'État de droit et l'alternance au pouvoir. Peut-elle tolérer en son sein ce qu...

Rubaya Mine Under USA’s Control: Kagame Has No Grounds to Object.

Rubaya Mine: Strategic Interests, Regional Conflict and the DRC–USA Cooperation Framework Rubaya mine, located in Masisi territory in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, is a Congolese resource. It was a Congolese resource before the M23 advanced on it, it remains a Congolese resource today, and it will remain a Congolese resource regardless of what any regional actor claims, implies or pursues. That is not a political position. It is a statement of international law and sovereign right. This foundational point must be stated plainly because it is frequently obscured in discussions about the conflict in eastern Congo. Debates about security narratives, mineral partnerships and geopolitical alignment risk creating a false impression that Rubaya's ownership or governance is somehow open to negotiation between external parties. It is not. The Democratic Republic of the Congo holds sovereign authority over its territory and its natural resources. N...

Goma Airport Should Function Under MONUSCO Control

Goma Airport Should Function Under MONUSCO Control Placing Goma International Airport under the operational supervision of MONUSCO while restoring full humanitarian and commercial functionality would represent a pragmatic compromise in the current crisis in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Such an arrangement would achieve three objectives simultaneously: Protect civilian and humanitarian access Address stated security concerns Reinforce Congolese sovereignty This is not a radical proposal. It is a stabilisation mechanism. Why MONUSCO Control Makes Strategic Sense MONUSCO is already mandated by the United Nations Security Council to support civilian protection and stabilisation in eastern Congo. It operates aircraft, maintains secure perimeters, and coordinates closely with humanitarian actors. Transferring temporary operational oversight of Goma airport to MONUSCO while allowing flights to resume would: Re...

BBC News

Africanews

UNDP - Africa Job Vacancies

How We Made It In Africa – Insight into business in Africa

Migration Policy Institute